]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ENGSHEP-L Home

ENGSHEP-L  August 2003

ENGSHEP-L August 2003

Re: Belle &Doggie Aspirin -Vigorous Climb or Re: [ENGSHEP-L] Teeth Cleaning Question

Ruth Hippler <[log in to unmask]>

English Shepherd Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:17:52 -0700

text/plain

Hi,

 I haven't been folowing this thread but the title
caught my attention this time. Not sure what the
questions were/are but my Katie is 13 and had had
dysplasia symptoms since age 5. It finally got bad
enough she falls when running or moving too fast,
grunts and groans when she lays down, circles a spot
to get up her courage to lay down etc. I had her on
glucosamine from Dr Fosters and Smith and it did help
alot, but it was so expensive, I finally gave it up. I
recently put her on coral calcium daily, that I get
from wal mart. I bought it for me and was so happy
with how well it works I bought some for Katie. What a
difference I see in her. Of course she still has some
rough days but she is running again, and sure moves
faster and with visibly less pain.
 The vet also has her on Ascriptin because she has
heartworms and they wont' treat her because of her
age.
 The ascriptin is asprin with malox. Both products are
human grade. But I know the coral calcium is cheaper
than the fosters and smith. $13 for 90 softgels and
she only gets 2 a day. She is 75 lbs. Its made a world
of difference for her and I both.

--- Rick Wallace <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 8-7-03
> Hi,
> There have been several posts related to this thread
> that I may have missed
> but did anyone mention flavored doggie aspirin that
> is available from places
> like Dr. Foster & Smith? Also, there are supplements
> that other dogs take
> regularly like Glycoflex for dysplasia/arthritis
> that could help but the dog would
> need to be on them for a while before they kick in.
>
> I know that people aspirin formulation/manufacture
> is more regulated and
> cheaper than doggie aspirin but since a doggie
> bottle lasts a while & has lower
> mg, I figure that that's OK. Also, before I found
> doggie aspirin, I had used a
> half of a buffered people aspirin for Belle once in
> a while and she seemed to
> do OK.
>
> Belle is now over 7 and has been severely dysplastic
> since I got her when she
> was 4 months old. She has done really well without
> surgery but we've had her
> on glucosamine then the Glycoflex II for years. She
> never whimpers in pain but
> sometimes limps for a day then it goes away. Three
> weeks ago she limped
> almost all week (her right hip is the worst) so I
> gave her extra Glycoflex and
> several doggie aspirin per day. It helped but we
> finally had to go to the vet and
> get a shot. She is better now and back to running
> and playing with Baxter.

=====
Blessings,
 Ruth
 http://earthangelses.com

Nomail: SET ENGSHEP-L NOMAIL
Digest: SET ENGSHEP-L DIGEST
Start mail again: SET ENGSHEP-L MAIL

Online archives and list management functions now available at
http://apple.ease.lsoft.com/archives/engshep-l.html
You can manage all your subscription options through the web interface.
Email the listowner Kate McGinley at [log in to unmask] if you have
problems

All email sent to ENGSHEP-L is Copyright 2003 by its original author.
ENGSHEP-L is brought to us via L-Soft. The messages and opinions sent
to Engshep-L do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the listowner.
Subscribers to Engshep-L agree to hold the listowner harmless for any
opinions expressed on the list.