LISTSERV Archives

ENGSHEP-L Home

ENGSHEP-L  April 2007

ENGSHEP-L April 2007

Re: How Young Is Too Young?

Melissa Crislip <[log in to unmask]>

English Shepherd Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:24:02 -0500

text/plain

Amanda,

Just my opinion.  Try to not let her get bred again, it might help some but
not that likely as others have explained.  However it must be possible to
fertilize more eggs or it would not be possible to have two sires to a
litter.  Even so, plenty of good size litters have been made on one
accidental whoops.

I personally would let her have the litter.  Plenty of young breedings have
taken place in the world with no terrible consequences.  Her body says she
capable or she wouldn't have come in heat yet.  Just be sure to give her a
good long rest afterwards before you have another litter.  At least 2 more
heats skipped.  Help her as much as you can.  She may have less of a
maternal instinct going on at her age and be less settled and more nervous
than she will be when she's a bit older.  Start feeding the pups at 3 weeks
and that will help take the stress off of her.

The mismate shot, imo, is not worth it.  I tried it once on a different
breed.  Before we had always had healthy large litters of 8 pups each.
After the mismate shot we had nothing but problems in both conception and
whelping.  She was ruined as a breeding dog and who knows how it made her
feel with her cycling, hormones or whatever so messed up afterwards.

Good luck.  Most likely it will all turn out ok.

Melissa Crislip
WildOats English Shepherds

>> We have a six month old female that we were planing to breed once she was
>> a year-year & a half.  She recently came into heat & we called our
>> veterinarian to see how long she would have to stay away from our male
>> dogs before she was "safe" again.  He said that she would be fertile from
>> days 7-11 of her cycle.  She went into heat on Wednesday the 4th, we kept
>> her in the house all of the time.  When she had to go to the bathroom we
>> let her out & Duce (our male) in.  We started letting her out again
>> Sunday, figuring she was done.  Apparently she wasn't as Duce bred her
>> yesterday, after they had been around each other for a few days.  Is she
>> too young to have pups?  Should we have the pregnacy terminated or leave
>> her alone?  We don't want to abort the puppies at all but we also don't
>> wan't ot risk losing Sadie because she is too young.  Also, when they are
>> young, like she is, are they more likely to have fewer pups?  We are just
>> kind of worried about her so any help you guys can
>> provide would be more than welcome!
>>  Thanks,
>>  Amanda

Nomail: SET ENGSHEP-L NOMAIL
Digest: SET ENGSHEP-L DIGEST
Start mail again: SET ENGSHEP-L MAIL

Online archives and list management functions now available at
http://apple.ease.lsoft.com/archives/engshep-l.html
You can manage all your subscription options through the web interface.
Email the listowner Kate McGinley at [log in to unmask] if you have
problems

All email sent to ENGSHEP-L is Copyright 2003 by its original author.
ENGSHEP-L is brought to us via L-Soft. The messages and opinions sent
to Engshep-L do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the listowner.
Subscribers to Engshep-L agree to hold the listowner harmless for any
opinions expressed on the list.