Re: draft

Michael Ipavec <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:35:00 -0400

text/plain

With all due respect, I think the *only* way to measure the success of a
draft is in hindsignt, after it is known how many successful players were
both drafted and signed by the organization.

It seems to me that your approach, set forth in paragraph 2., below, makes
two mistakes:

i. It mistakes commonly held opinion for wisdom. Seems to me that a truly
talented GM is one who can free himself from the crowd and find talent where
others cannot.

ii. It attempts to make today the kind of evaluation that can only be made
later. No matter how much I desire to know today how good or bad the Sox (or
any team's) draft was, the fact is that I'm just going to have to wait to
find out.

Mike Ipavec