Minor-league check-in

Timothy Savage <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 2 Sep 2012 15:02:58 +0900

text/plain

The minor-league season ends this weekend, so it's time for our final
wrapup of things down on the farm.  As in the past, I'm using four broad
and largely subjective categories to group players into:  On Track, Crucial
Year (next season), Ship Sailed, and More Information Needed

On Track

Pawtucket
Ivan Dejesus .455/.500/.500; Albuquerque  .295/.333/.415
He is what he is; your basic run of the mill utility infielder.  If they
trade Aviles and Iglesias flops, he can hold down the fort for a little bit
until something better comes along.

Ryan Lavarnaway  .295/.376./439
The power was down this year but he still got on base and was voted
defensive catcher of the year, so he's ready to prove himself in the
majors.  He'll either be platooning with Saltalamacchia next year or
playing more regularly if Salty is traded.

Bryce Brentz  0-6; Portland .296/.355/.478
Brentz had a monster August after a horrid July to finish his time at AA
with solid numbers.  His high strikeout rate is definitely a concern, but
he's got power and the arm to play right field, and is the only one of the
Sox outfield prospects who is right-handed.  A strong year at AAA gets him
to the majors before sometime in 2013.

Chris Carpenter  1.15 15.7 7 8 17
The walks are a bit of a concern, but otherwise Carpenter pitched quite
well out of the pen coming back from surgery.  He has an option left so
he'll probably spend next year on the Boston-Pawtucket shuttle until he
establishes himself.

Clayton Mortensen  2.33 38.7 24 16 36; Boston 2.25 32.0 24 12 26
Mortensen did everything you have to do when you're in your final option
year, pitching consistently well in the minors while making the most of his
chances at the major league level.  He's earned his spot on the 25-man for
next year.

Junichi Tazawa  2.55 42.3 34 17 56; Boston 1.72 31.3 34 4 29
Tazawa still has options left, but the way he's pitched this year he
deserves a roster spot.  Between him and Mortensen they have a couple of
solid middle innings guys who can go long if need be.

Jose De La Torre  2.76 16.3 14 3 14; Columbus 3.38 10.7 9 2 16; 2.80 45.0
33 19 42
He's put up solid AAA numbers for three years now but hasn't been given a
shot.  He was on a minor-league deal when the Sox acquired him, so they'd
need to add him to the 40-man roster to hold onto him in the off-season.
Seems a better use of the spot than Che-Hsuan Lin.

Alex Wilson  3.39 71.7 74 31 77
After three starts at the beginning of season the Sox permanently shifted
Wilson to the pen and he's been consistently good since.  He's eligible for
the Rule 5 so they'll need to put him on the 40-man, and then he'll be one
of the guys competing for callups throughout the season.

Portland
Xander Bogaerts  .329/.356/.612; Salem .302/.378/.505
This, ladies and gentlemen, is the future of the franchise.  It's not
really a question of if (yes) or even when (soon), but more where, as in
what position will he end up playing.  He's got the offensive chops to be
an asset anywhere, but obviously if you can keep him in the middle of the
diamond he's just that much more valuable.  He turns 20 one month from
now.  The first person to compare him to Wilton Veras gets a virtual punch
in the nose.

Jackie Bradley .271/.373/.437; Salem .359/.480/.526
Bradley's OPS per month after his promotion: .947, .834, .711.  This was
his first full season in the pros and he'd already played as many games at
Salem as he had in any college season, so I'm inclined to attribute the
fade to fatigue rather than the league catching up with him.  If he focuses
on conditioning in the off-season he should be on-track for a late-season
appearance in the majors next year.  Whether he ends up in centerfield or
right field is going to depend what on what the Sox end up doing with
Ellsbury.

Travis Shaw  .231/.357/.442; Salem .305/.411/.545
Shaw struggled initially after his promotion but has come on strong of
late, hitting .306/.409/.611 over his last ten games.  The trade of
Gonzalez has unblocked first base so he has a clear shot if he can prove
himself.

Aaron Kurcz  3.04 50.3 42 27 72
Kurcz missed the last month with a pulled rotator cuff muscle, which is
less dangerous than a torn rotator cuff but does highlight the fact that
he's a small guy who throws hard, which is always something to be cautious
of.  He doesn't require protection from the Rule 5 yet, but nonetheless
looks ready to start next year in Pawtucket.

Allen Webster  6.75 4.0 6 2 7; Charleston 3.55 121.7 120 57 117
A sinkerballer who can still strike people out sounds a lot like a
pre-injury Brandon Webb.  He's ready for AAA and could be pushing for a
rotation spot before the year is out.

Salem
Keury de la Cruz  .231/.231/.308 (13 AB); Greenville .308/.352/.536
Should win the Most Improved Player award as he came out of nowhere to be
Greenville's best hitter this season.  Shows a nice power/speed combination
but as with many hitters at this level needs to work on his strike zone
judgment.

Matt Barnes  3.58 93.0 84 25 91; Greenville 0.34 26.7 12 4 42
Barnes only pitched a few more innings are a pro this year than he did his
last year in college, so the fatigue is somewhat surprising, although the
every fifth day thing may have gotten to him.  As long as it didn't hide
some underlying injury, I'm not too worried about the decline and would
expect to see him back on the beam at AA next year.

Greenville
Garrin Cecchini .304/.390/.429  48/4 SB/CS
Speed and on-base skills are a good combo to have, but not something you
normally expect from a third baseman in this day and age.  It could be
he'll end up at 2B in the majors, which would seem more suited for his
offensive skill set.  But those are questions for another day; for now he's
a nice solid little prospect.

Blake Swihart  .265/.311/.402
Swihart improved his OPS every month except for July, when his OBP dropped
but he still had his best power month.  He then closed strong with a
.320/.382/.440 August, easily his best month of the year.  You've got to
like the upward trajectory, and Swihart seems to have been working on
improving different parts of his game at different times, so when he starts
to put it all together he'll be one to watch.

Miguel Pena  2.95  100.7 95 21 91
The Sox drafted Pena in the 6th round out of Juco last year after he'd
turned down two previous pro offers.  He had a solid first year as a pro
which was interrupted by injury, but he came back pretty strong.  An
interesting sleeper.

Lowell
Deven Marrero  .269/.366/.374  26/4 SB/CS
At first glance, Marrero may not appear to be any better offensively than
Iglesias or Vinicio, but then you have to consider 1) he knows how to draw
a walk; 2) he has more XBH than either of them despite playing fewer games
and 3) he's a real base-stealer.  If I had to bet on who is going to emerge
as the shortstop of the future, I'd have to go with the guy with the best
all-around game, and at this point that's Marrero.

Mookie Betts  .270/.352/.308  19/4 SB/CS
People always wanted to compare Dustin Pedroia to David Eckstein, but this
guy really is like David Eckstein, a tiny middle infielder who gets on base
and can run.  Whether he can maintain his on-base skills against higher
level pitchers given his lack of power remains to be seen.

William Cuevas  1.40 77.3 55 15 72
Venezuelan righty made his stateside debut in the GCL last year after
spending two years in the Dominican summer league.  He's 21 so not
particularly young for a Latin prospect but similar age to the
competition.  Very nice command, so it'll be a matter of how far his stuff
can take him.

Pat Light  27.3 26 5 26
The Sox' supplementary first round pick got off to a nice pro debut.  He
totaled almost 130 IP between college and the pros, so no reason he
shouldn't be ready for full season ball next year.

GCL
Michael Myers .337/.384/.478
Very nice debut for an 11th round draft pick out of high school.  You could
make a case for starting him in full-season ball next year, but he's a SS
and the Sox minor-league system is pretty crowded at that position right
now, so he'll probably start out at Lowell.

JB Wendelken 1.28  21.3 11 3 28
He sounds more like an investment banker than a baseball player, but the
13th round draft pick had a nice pro debut after being taken out of Juco.

Crucial Year

Pawtucket
Ryan Kalish  .261/.336/.414
With the Sox in rebuilding mode and the top prospects still a year away,
now is the perfect time to let Ryan Kalish play every day and find out once
and for all what type of a player he really is.  Unfortunately instead
they're still trotting out a 36-year old journeyman in Scott Podsednik.

Jeremy Hazelbaker  .286/.273/.381; .273/.338/.479 in Portland (35/11 SB/CS)
I don't see the Sox giving him a roster spot, but some other team might be
intrigued enough by his power/speed combination to take a flyer on him in
the Rule 5 draft.  His poor on-base skills limit his upside to 4th OF, so
it's a risk worth taking.

Jose Iglesias  .269/.321/.310
The debate now is whether, after he hit .329/.402/.397 in August, you give
him the shot or whether you send him back down until he shows more
sustained success.  I don't think there's a cut-and-dried answer to that,
but either way, next year is it for him.  He's in his final option year so
if he doesn't prove he can hit well enough to hold down a job, it'll be
time to look elsewhere.

Pedro Beato  0.00 4.0 1 3 6; Buffalo 4.14 37.0 32 11 27; MLB 9.95 6.3 8 3 7
He was a starter before the Mets picked him up in the Rule 5 a year ago.  I
don't see anything in his minor league numbers to get excited about, but
Cherington seems to be good at identifying these type of guys, so I'll give
him the benefit of the doubt.  He'll be joining Carpenter and Wilson on the
Paw-Bos shuttle next year.

Stephen Wright  3.86 14.0 16 2 12; Portland 2.49 115.7 86 62 101
A pretty impressive season for his first year as a full-time knuckleballer;
now he'll have to do it at a higher level.  I'm sure they'll bring in
Wakefield to work with him in spring training.  I wonder if Kevin Cash can
be coaxed out of retirement to be his personal catcher in Pawtucket next
year.

Zach Stewart 3.94 59.3 58 14 42; MLB 7.92 33.0 51 4 18
I know he's supposed to be a sinkerballer, but Stewart strikes me as one of
those guys with good command whose stuff just isn't good enough to get
major league hitters out.

Christian Vazquez  .217/.295/.275; Salem .266/.360/.396
Vazquez was actually hitting better at the time of his promotion than his
overall numbers show, and he only turned 22 a couple of weeks ago, so if
you buy into the "catchers develop late" paradigm he's well ahead of the
game.  He'll never be a major offensive force but he could hit just well
enough to be a solid backup catcher given his defense.  Given his mediocre
numbers overall and the difficulties of carrying a third catcher in the
modern game, I'm guessing the Sox will take the risk of exposing him to the
Rule 5 draft, but he's still a sleeper.

Brandon Workman 3.60 20.0 19 3 17; Salem 3.40 113.7 104 20 107
His numbers are solid but unspectacular -- one is tempted to call them
"workmanlike" -- and he turned 24 a couple of weeks ago so he's fairly old
for the league.  Nonetheless, if he keeps on the path he's on, he could
emerge as a solid back of the rotation guy in a couple of years.

Drake Britton  3.72 84.7 86 38 76; Salem 5.80 45.0 42 19 42
Just when I was ready to write him off into LOOGYdom, Britton responded
with a very solid August, putting up a 2.33 ERA with almost a strikeout an
inning.  He's still got two options left and he's only 23, so he has time
yet to prove himself.  But he's also four years removed from TJ surgery, so
this is as good as it's gonna get for him.  He'll need to prove himself at
AAA next year to be taken seriously.

Chris Balcolm-Miller  4.41 85.7 79 49 61
CBM was starting to turn things around in July when he got injured.  The
Sox have too many similarly profiled guys ahead of him, so they'll leave
him unprotected in the Rule 5 this year, and he may or may not draw some
interest.

Stolmy Pimentel  4.59 115.7 114 42 86
Pimentel had a decent post-ASB, putting up a 3.56 ERA with an improved
K-rate, which, together with the fact that I really like the sound of his
name, are the only reasons why I'm not ready to completely write him off.
He's got two options left but he's really clinging on to the margins of
prospecthood at this point, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut
within the next year.

Salem
Michael Almanzar  .300/.354/.459
His career trajectory mirrors that of Oscar Tejeda, who also put up good
numbers as a 17-year old in short-season ball but then struggled for a few
years before finally re-emerging with a decent showing in high-A ball at
age 21.  Unlike Tejeda, though, I don't think it will earn Almanzar a
roster spot, particularly as he's now playing 1B, where his numbers don't
quite cut it.  Even if he gets snagged in the Rule 5, he'd be a long shot
to stay on a major-league roster all year long.

Brandon Jacobs  .253/.323/.419
Had an up-and-down season that was punctuated by a broken hamate bone.
He's young enough and athletic enough to still emerge as a top prospect but
health and consistency are the key missing factors at this point.

Sean Coyle  .252/.321/.396
Actually had a quite good post-ASB, putting up an 835 OPS after horrid 626
to start the season.  Still, he has to put up a good solid year start to
finish before I'm ready to declare him a real prospect.

Greenville

Jose Vinicio  .277/.311/.360
Pretty much a younger version of Jose Iglesias, Vinicio is a fine defensive
shortstop who can hit for a decent average but completely lacks secondary
skills.  He's quite young, having only turned 19 in July, but he's going to
have a hard time proving he can cut it against higher level pitching.

Henry Owens  101.7 100 47 130
The inimitable Mr. Owens finished the season strong with a 3.98 ERA in his
last 10 starts and 3.43 in his last five.  He seems to have dialed back on
the strikeouts a bit in order to get the walks under control, although he
still has a little ways to go in that regard.  He's raw, but less raw than
he looked in April when he was walking a batter per inning and striking out
two.

Ship Sailed

Pawtucket
Alex Hassan  .256/.377/.365
He has only one above-average skill; getting on base.  That's a great skill
to have, but if you can't run, hit for power, or play anywhere defensively
except LF/1B, there's no way to really utilize it.

Danny Valencia  .259/.301/.408
Don't really see what the point of this pickup was, other than a warm
body.  He may not make it through the off-season on the 40-man roster.

Che-Hsuan Lin  .245/.321/.315
Every now and again I see someone opining that Lin could be a major-leaguer
in the right circumstances, and I really have to wonder if they're paying
attention.  The fact is, he's six years into his pro career and has shown
no ability to hit a baseball.  He's really a waste of a roster spot at this
point.

Portland
Kolbrin Vitek  .242/.284/.339
Some first round picks just don't work out.  This is one of them.

Anthony Ranaudo  6.69 37.7 41 27 27
And this is another one.

Salem
David Renfroe  .192/.267/.192; Greenville .256/.330/.417
The Sox gave him first round money after drafting him in the third round to
buy him out of a football scholarship, but he hasn't hit at all in his
three years in the pros.  Generally speaking if something were going to
click, it would have clicked by now.

Greenville
Madison Younginer  6.49 52.7 67 26 42
Forget it.  Ain't gonna happen.

Lowell
Seth Schwindenhammer  .073/.156/.268
Jarrod Saltalamacchia can rest easy; his record is safe for the foreseeable
future.

More Information

Lowell
Brian Johnson  0.00 5.7 4 0 4
The Sox were bringing Johnson along with a few short outings, but in his
fourth start he was hit in the face with a comeback liner.  With something
like that the psychological recovery is often more difficult than the
physical recovery, but hopefully there won't be any long-term consequences
as he was considered one of the real prizes of the Sox' draft this year.

Tzu-Wei Lin  .255/.341/.318
The Sox gave Lin a 2.5 million bonus right before the new limit on
international signings came into play.  Hopefully he won't take hitting
tips from his compatriot in the organization.

Austin Maddox  1.80 5.0 4 1 4
Maddox really has no business pitching in the GCL as he's a college
prospect, but the Sox obviously wanted to take it easy on him.  I'd expect
to see him in either Greenville or Salem next year.

Ty Buttrey  1.80 5.0 5 1 5
The Sox used a few of their picks in the first ten rounds on college
seniors willing to take $10,000 bonuses so they could draft Buttrey in the
4th round and give him late first round money.  So overall they got four
good solid arms in the draft -- Johnson, Light, Maddox, and Buttrey -- plus
a potential sleeper in Wendelken.

Aloha,

Tim