LISTSERV Archives

ANGELS Home

ANGELS  June 1998

ANGELS June 1998

Re: from lat

Aaron K Cross <[log in to unmask]>

Anaheim Angels Baseball Mailing List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Jun 1998 14:01:11 -0700

text/plain

Read on.

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998 09:43:21 -0500 Ed Lamoureux <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>I usually don't cut and paste....but these deserve some attention:
>
>McDowell, 32, is by no means ready to give up on this season
>or his career, but he admits his elbow problems have clouded his
>future.
>"If I can get back to where I was at the beginning of the
>season I'll be fine," McDowell said. "But after this season,
> I don't know. Obviously my prospects of being a starting pitcher are
>not
>that great. Maybe I can set up or close for someone. It depends on my
>frame of mind after this season."
>
>This gamble did not pay off.  Now the angels have to hope that jason
>dickson can return to his early 97 form, that watson can return, and
>the
>oliveras can hold up his end of the deal.  A few quality starts from
>washburn wouldn't hurt either.
>
>  Meanwhile, Ken Hill is complaining about a tired arm......geezz..
>guess
>two truck loads of gold bullion a month can't keep a guy from getting
>worn down in the first 2 months of the season.  God help us in Sept.
>                                                     * * *
>The Angels are three weeks into the Tim Salmon experiment, in which
>they
>seek to determine whether their best player functioning at about 70%
>can
>still be a force in their lineup. I don't have a good feel for this
>whole
>thing," Collins said of Salmon, who has been limited to the
>designated-hitter role because of a slight tear of a ligament in his
>left
>foot.  "This guy has to be in the fray. We
>need his bat in the lineup. But he's frustrated because he can't be
>the
>Tim Salmon everyone knows and wants." Tim Salmon, who is hobbling to
>such an
>extent he looks like he's jogging around the basepaths, batting .211
>(12
>for 57) with two homers and 10 RBIs in 17  games since returning from
>the disabled list
>May 9. "I feel pretty good in the batter's box, but hitting is more
>than
>physical, it's mental," said Salmon, who was given Sunday off. "When
>the only way to help the
>team is by swinging the bat, you put a lot of pressure on yourself.
> I'm trying to deal with that frustration."
>
>This one is a no-brainer for me, esp. given the turn of events with
>Greene. I would put Salmon on the DL, get him the surgery, and get him
>on
>the road to full recover (3 to 4 months).  Let Greene DH.
>                                         * * *
-------->This is EXACTLY what I said should be done about a week after
the injury.  They should do this and maybe Tim can be back by the end of
the year.

>Cecil Fielder, mired in a nine-for-56 slump that has dropped his
>average
>from .258 to .229, joined Salmon on the bench
>Sunday, marking the first game he has  missed this season. Collins
>used Frank Bolick
>in the cleanup spot, but Bolick was hitless with a walk in two
>at-bats. .
>. .
>
>This one's a little tougher.....it may still be too early to give up
>on
>big daddy. but if the angels want to cut him loose, I'd bring up
>glaus,
>and put hollins at first.
>

>Edmonds' homer in the fifth extended his  hitting streak to 11 games.
>. .
>ANYONE TALKING ABOUT TRADING EDMONDS IS OUT OF THEIR FRIGGING MIND (in
>my
>not so humble opinion) . . . .He's one of the best players on the
>club. He
>should be untouchable with Gary D., Erstad, Chuck.
>
>What a shame the angels weren't more patient with damien easly. . .
>.let's
>hope that they show more restrain with Justin Overdrive.
>
>If they will this year, Collins is manager of the year.
>
>I wonder if a change of scenery would help either nomo or valdez?
>
>Wouldn't it be nice if matt walbeck is going to crank it back up into
>his
>twins days and give them a real solid year?  that would be HUGE.
>

>Ed Lamoureux

>To signoff the ANGELS list, send 'signoff  ANGELS' to:

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

To signoff the ANGELS list, send 'signoff  ANGELS' to: